Thursday, April 19, 2012

It's Cursed! Simplicity 3835



I made a cute, quick top.  Totally inspired by Faye's Top-A-Thon, but I did not participate in the actual event.  I would have liked to, but once I get going on a project, I don't stop and start something else until it is done.  So my Dad's xmas present got in the way.


The pattern I used was an old Built By Wendy top, Simplicity 3835.  I made the shirt yeeeaaaars ago, and I think it was the first project I made with my serger.  It was awful, both in fabric and construction.  What I love about the pattern is how much it looks like a RTW Express knit top I bought years ago.  Maybe I'll enter this blouse into the RTW contest, even though it's not that special.


And if you want to know why it's cursed, read the review below:



Pattern Description:
The top is a peasant style with a gathered neckline and short, gathered sleeves. The mini-dress is shown with elbow-length sleeves with a band at the lower edge of the sleeves. The band has extensions which can be tied. There is also a band at the neckline which the top of the dress is stitched to. The regular length dress has pockets, elbow-length sleeves without the band, and a yoke/band at the neckline.

The dresses have back centered zippers and darts. The top is pullover without darts or closure. The top uses the same pieces as the dresses so this means whereas in the dresses darts take up excess room, in the top back there is a slight billowy effect due to the absence of darts.

(Great description taken from RenRen's review)

Pattern Sizing:

4-14, I made the 12 because I wanted it loose!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

I modified the sleeves, so yes and no!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

I did not use them at all this time.  I think they were good the first time a made the top (pre-bloggling and PR).  I just did not like the material I made the top out of the first time so it got chucked.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I love the casualness of the top and the ease of construction.  It only took a couple hrs from cutting to finish, and I'm slow and easily distracted.

Fabric Used:

$1/yd cotton/rayon? lycra print from the swapmeet. Woo, woo!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I made the 12 because I wanted it loose and breezy.  I also removed teh CB seam as I felt it was unnecessary.  I also did not use elastic on the sleeves.  It looks less peasant-like and more modern IMO. I constructed the entire thing on the serger except the neckline casing and used a twin stretch needle for the hems.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes and yes!

Conclusion:

I love the top, unfortunately it is cursed!  While trimming the hem, I cut a hole in my fabric! And then my dog, who occasionally has bowel issues and leaves little presents on her behind, left me a "little present" on my shirt when I picked her up.  I'm going to re-hem the bottom to hide the hole and of course wash the shirt!

More pics:






Also thanks to my newest follower, KnottedRose, who recently made two cute floral tees!

160 Followers! I need to get a giveaway going soon!

4 comments:

  1. Nice top, and wish you could have joined. I'll look for you next time. Are you still in school???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Faye. I'll try. I'm done with school. Hooray! Now I have to look for a job. So scary...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top is really cute. I've been looking for this pattern for a long time. It's been discontinued. ERRRRRRR..

    Anyway, wondering if you'd like to sell your copy to me. Please, consider, if you're not going to use it again.

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it.favorite style of tops. Go. WITH Anything.

    ReplyDelete