Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Amazing Friend's Amazing Weaving

My Craft Center friend (and first sewing teacher) made me this gorgeous wool/mercerized cotton scarf over the last several months.  Isn't it beautiful?  She dyed the wool and I think she spun it as well. (I could be mistaken about the spinning) Then she hand wove it on a horizontal loom.   Geez.... hours and hours went into this project and I feel so lucky and grateful to be the owner!  


Check out that intricate design.  She said the warp threads are mercerized cotton and the weft is wool and some mercerized cotton.  

I tried hand weaving years and years ago, but I hated it! I did not like the instructor and she forced the class to make a gamp or a "fabric that tells us what happens when different colors, weave structures, or types of thread intersect," instead of working on a real project.  Well, because the gamp took too long, I never had time to make anything cool or pretty.  

 I will probably wear it somewhat like this.  Maybe with a pretty pin:

 Here's another view of it!

Thanks V!

1 comment:

  1. Great scarf. Weaving is interesting to me, but ver scary at the same time. I am afraid it would be too much for me to keep up with! Thanks for sharing. Jillie and Andy say hi to Pearl.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete