Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Very Merry Hawaiian Shirt

In July, my family and I went to Maui.  I dragged my parents fabric shopping with me and bought these fabrics:


My dad really wanted me to make him a Hawaiian style shirt so we bought this pattern and he picked out the top fabric in the photo above. It's a Kokka quilting cotton.  It was the best quality quilting cotton I've ever sewn with.  It was dreamy.  

I used this pattern:


Here is the result!

front.  

up close.  dammit! the fronts almost match!

back yoke with box pleat instead of 2 side pleats.

still have some gapey arm problems, but i realized i haven't ever seen it not happen on a men's "hawaiian shirt"

can you find the pocket!?

Inside view, clean finished, topstitched from the front.
Overall, I'm pleased with the shirt.  

Here is the PR:

b>Pattern Description:

Loose fitting, casual aloha shirt has camp collar, back pleats, faced back yoke with forward shoulder seams and and straight hemline with slits.  Choice of rounded or pointed pocket.  

Pattern Sizing:

S-4XL.  I made a Large. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

I did not use the instructions really. I chose to do the "burrito" method for clean finishing the inside, which was a mistake because the camp collar did not extend all the way to the edges of the front "placket."  I had to do some finagling to fix the problem, but it worked out. I ended up cutting down 5/8" at the point the collar attaches to the front and flipping the placket into itself and edge stitching it shut.  Instructions looked okay though. I should have used them, but I wanted to try out my new "burrito" technique.  

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The pieces were really well drafted.  

Fabric Used:

An EXPENSIVE Japanese quilting cotton my Dad picked out in a fabric store in Hawaii.  

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I did a 1/2 in. sloping shoulder adjustment.  I also moved the two back pleats on the sided to one box pleat in the CB.  I needed to do some sort of rounded back adjustment, but decided it was too much work and not worth it.  I also shorted the sleeves and the torso because my Dad is on the short side.  

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

If my Dad really wants another one, maybe for his birthday.  I would recommend it, but follow directions! Don't be like me :)

Conclusion:

My Dad is very happy.  He collects vintage Hawaiian style shirts and he says this one fits the best.  






2 comments:

  1. What a awesome Hawaiian shirt! How in the world did you remember to buy extra fabric so you could match everything so beautifully? I would have forgotten until I was ready to cut out the shirt *LOL* I'm guessing your dad is one proud daddy right now and telling everyone where his shirt came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Found your blog from your corner seam tutorial on Burda Style. This shirt is great - especially how you matched the print at the center front and on the pocket!

    ReplyDelete