Saturday, October 30, 2010

There's no place like home....

Last year I was determined to make my Halloween costume.  I have always wanted to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, but found RTW costumes either very frumpy or overly slutty.  I wanted to be tastefully naughty :)  I'm still young, and it is Halloween after all.

So here I am in my costume:





It was a first for working with slippery fabrics, lining, grommets, and using boning.  I used the crappy Joann's boning, something I will never do again.  I think it turned out pretty well for a crappy Halloween costume.  The shirt is RTW and the shoes are kid's shoes from Target.  I have tiny feet :)  

The silly thigh-highs were so ridiculously expensive from one of those seasonal Halloween Headquarters stores.  I liked the cute blue bows though.  


I also made the Boyfriend a costume.  He went as an octopus.  I actually like this picture of him, but he doesn't.  That's why is face is blocked out.  

Here's the PR for my Dorothy costume:

Pattern Description: 

Misses' wizard of oz costumes - Dorothy, scarecrow, Glinda and the wicked witch costume patterns. I made the Dorothy pattern.

Pattern Sizing:

8-16. I made an 8 in the corset/vest and a 10 in the skirt.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

For the most part.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

For my first corset and first lined vest and skirt, yes. They were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The pattern was drafted okay. Not great. Because it was a costume, it did not go into the correct way to insert the boning. I didn't care because the costume was worn once. I hate the plastic boning with channels. It was a pain in the butt.

Fabric Used:

A shiny poly gingham from Joanns and rayon lining fabric.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I had to let out the skirt a bit for comfort. Maybe should have made a 12. I also serged the bottom hem for ease. I made it over a year ago so I can't remember all the changes. Nothing drastic though.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

No. I would recommend using other patterns to achieve the same look.

Conclusion: 

The costume was fun. I was happy with it when I made it for last Halloween and maybe I'll wear it again.



And don't forget to vote for Pearl for the PR costume contest starting in November.  I'll remind you all and send a link when the voting starts :)  



3 comments: