Saturday, October 23, 2010

Grrr! Roarr! Simplicity 2839

Happy Halloween (almost)!  I finished Pearl's Halloween costume about a week ago and finally got around to taking pictures! Here she is:


Isn't she the most ferocious lion you have ever seen!?  

More pictures!  


The lion has spotted her prey...


And if Pearl isn't a good enough model, here is Fritz!



 Did you know lions climbed trees?




The back hem detail:



I'm entering this costume into the Pattern Review contest so please vote for me :)


Here is the Pattern Review:

Pattern Description: 

Dog costumes in 3 sizes: Elvis, Bumblebee, Cow, Lion

Pattern Sizing:

S - M- L . I started with a small and shrunk it down to 60% on a xerox.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
More or less. After I shrunk it down, it ended up being a smidge too small so I lopped of the back legs and made it a shirt. I also omitted the tail because my dog's tail is cuter. :)

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very easy

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Their small is not really small. It will fit a fat chihuahua or a larger pug. Not my 4.5lb yorkies.

Fabric Used:

Golden polar fleece remnant from Joann's and brown faux fur.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I shrunk the pattern down to 60% of the original and added back 1/2" seam allowances. It didn't quite fit so I made it a shirt instead of a jumper. I also lined the hood with polar fleece to make it more comfy for the dogs. The fur was really scratchy on the underside. I used the same pattern pieces to make the lining, just did not attach ears to the lining. I serged the entire outfit and used a twin needle for all the hems. I omitted the tail. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 

I would like to make it a bit bigger for next Halloween, maybe in the cow print for my dogs. Or make another one for my mom's yorkie. Both dogs hate hoods though. 

Conclusion: 

Sizing was a little weird, but the pattern is cute!


Pearl's pouty face.  (She's begging for a vote!)


5 comments:

  1. Scary Lion!!! This is insanely cute. I can't get over the poses. Great models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh....Andy and Jillie are scared of those big bad lions! LOL Very cute!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alfie says happy Howlaween! Cute suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pearl say's "rawr" back to all her puppy friends.

    ReplyDelete