I was so excited to get started on my McCall 6069 dress. All the other versions I have seen are great!
And then one bad thing after another happened until I decided to quit and call it a "wadder." Let's see where I went wrong:
1) I decided to use a thin, drapey cotton jersey ($1/yd) my Mom bought for me; an ideal fabric for this project. It is a blackish grey with a interesting motif in white going crosswise along the fabric. Border print! I thought, "This will be perfect! Drapey, nice border print, light-weight, great color...." I tried to lay out the pattern as shown in the layout and realized the print was off grain. Stupidly, I decided to try it anyways because, hey, the fabric was free to me and the pattern was $2 on sale. To get the border to line up, I had to cut the fabric in one layer. I couldn't even cut on the fold. It took forever, but it looked like I had done a good job.
2) I cut the pattern in a size 8 at top grading to a 10 at the bottom. With a style like this I should have cut a straight 10 or even a 12.
3) I didn't follow directions at first and accidently sewed the back strap on incorrectly and then had to pick out the stitches. In doing so, I made little rips in the fabric. Uggh.
4) The layout was ridiculous! I tried to avoid the weird motif centering on my boobs, but I never thought about how it would look on the bottom. Even though it was off grain, I did match up the motif well, but look what it does on the skirt portion. Totally ridiculous!
Anyways, here's me in the "dress." It's not actually put together, but I tried to give you an idea of what it would have looked like. It's a monstrosity...
Oh well, you win some and you lose some. I just wasted a few hours today, but I'm not too worried about it.
The stripey dress and the doggie outfits! I finished the Vogue knit dress a few days ago, but went out of town this weekend and it's been too hot here to wear a long sleeve poly knit dress around.