Friday, August 27, 2010

McCall 5661 Silk Blouse is done!

I'm done...after weeeeks of working on this blouse.  It was very simple to put together, but I had absolutely no time with the other crafts I've been making, a visit from my mom, and the impending big move down to Southern California. 

I really worked hard on this blouse and tried a couple new-to-me techniques.  See here and here for previous posts.  I attempted a so-so narrow hem, used french seams on the side seams, used a Hong Kong finish to encase the raw edges of the facings (new!), made covered buttons (new, and so much fun!), and used the one-thread dart technique (new!).  I am proud of the blouse, but not sure how much use I will get out of it.  My wardrobe is pretty casual, but I want to start dressing more sophisticated. I know my shoes don't go, but I love them.  They were the first heels I grabbed running out the door to take pictures. I didn't want the Boyfriend to wait too long.  The shoes are from a tiny antique store in town nearby that had tons of shoes all in my size! I think I got them for about $7.

The silk really gave me a lot of trouble. It was very shifty, and any time I sewed a curve, I could feel it stretch out...even as I stay-stitched.  Thank God for the print or you would see all the little puckers.  I never did use tissue paper as I stitched, but I should have.  Not terribly happy with the bust darts, but I will live.

Check out those sloping shoulders and my invisible covered buttons!

Here is the PR review:

Pattern Description: 

Fitted tops have front and back darts and back button closure; top B has self-faced sleeve; top C has gathered sleeve with sleeve band; top D has front pleats; top E has front pleats and gathered bubble sleeve; belt is included.
I made view A. I think the blouse would have been better as view D.

Pattern Sizing:

BB(8-10-12-14), F5(16-18-20-22-24) I used a size 10.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?


Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very easy. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I like the pattern alot. I should have used view D with this fabric. I love the back button closure. 

Fabric Used:

A silk of some sort. I think silk Habotai maybe. It was very light, drapey, and shifted like Hell!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I had the pattern fitted to me in Pattern Fitting class. I made a straight 10, made 1/2" sloping shoulder adjustments, and had to add shoulder darts to accommodate for my prominent shoulder blades. At least that is what I am telling myself (I do NOT have the beginning's of a rounded back!) 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I would definitely sew this again. Probably in View D. I would also maybe carve out a bit of the armhole for more of a tank look. 


Love the pattern, great for beginners!


  1. Its lovely - great print and fit! I'm sure your invisible covered buttons look fantastic too .... if I could see them :)

  2. Great. And cute shoes!! I am debating what fabric to use for this pattern.

  3. Lovely - perfect marriage of cut and fabric.