Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Warning! This may gross some (most) people out.

I love shirring! For those of you who don't know, shearing is fake, easy smocking using elastic thread in the bobbin to gather fabric.  Last year it seemed to become popular in the home sewing/diy blogs.  I found the Heather Ross dress and gave it a try.  I used a grey/white seersucker that I bought for $1/yd at the swapmeet.  It was one of my first fabric purchases.  The dress came together very easily, including the shirring.  I think the dress makes me looks a little old fashion and preggo, but it is so comfortable.  It is the best thing to wear in the 100 degree weather we get here.

I bet your asking yourself, how is this post gross?  Well, I call this dress the Diarrhea Dress.   My adorable, sweet, loving dog Pearl had an accident one day...in public...all over my dress.  I was making photocopies last summer of some fitting class materials to give to my mom and friend.  I brought Pearl along with me and she was sitting on my purse on top of the counter.  People are pretty lenient toward little, quite dogs.  After about an hr. of copying, I smelled a Pearl fart.  Dog farts are the worst, but this was the worst one I've ever smelled!  I realized what was going on and grabbed Pearl and all my things as fast I could to get her out of there onto some grass.  She didn't make it.  She crapped all the way down my dress.  It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever dealt with.  Someone saw what was happening and offered to get me some napkins.  I was mortified.  I did my best to clean myself and Pearl, but we had a long way home back to the car.  I had decided it would be a good thing to walk about 1/4mile to the shop to get some fresh air and exercise.  BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER because I had to walk back in the Diarrhea Dress.  It was graduation week so there were people everywhere.  I finally got home, embarrassed, and completely grossed out.  I showered twice washed my dress multiple times and gave Pearl a bath.

The dress looks and smells good as new, but I don't wear it often.  There's a stigma attached to it now. I think I just need to get over it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh,no! What a thing to happen to such a pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but giggle a bit. After all, I'm the proud mommy of two four legged girls myself and have had my share of disgusting clean-ups over the years. Poor Pearl - and poor you! I bet if you wear that adorable dress a few more times the positive memories will overcome the negative.

    ReplyDelete